The Chamberlin Mill Bridge was once an open span. An account in the Vermont Union newspaper reported in August 1881: "The Chamberlin Bridge at the west of the village [Lyndon Corner] is having a new abutment and is to be built into a covered bridge".
Standing high over the South Wheelock Branch of the Passumpsic River, it was one of the few spans not carried away by the great flood of 1927. The white gables bridge still serves light traffic.
The bridge construction features open sides, with the queenpost truss protected by the wide eaves of an overhanging metal roof. The extended gable-ends and the trusses are painted white. The gable sheathing, cut high over the roadway, dips to the corbel endsand up again to the ends of the eaves, all in straight lines.
In the summer of 2002, the bridge received a new steel roof as a part of the VTrans roof replacement program.
Our thanks to the Town of Lyndon and the Village of Lyndonville for allowing the posting of the Vermont Covered Bridge Society Welcome patch. For more information about the Lyndon area visit their website at www.lyndonvt.org.
|Crossing:||South Wheelock Branch of the Passumpsic River|
|Builder:||W. W. Heath (Superintendent)|
|Truss Length:||66 feet|
|Other Names:||Sawmill / Whitcomb / Wheelock|
|National Register of Historical Places Listing Date:||July 30, 1974|
Credits: All pictures, information and descriptions are taken from Spanning Time Vermont's Covered Bridges by Joseph C. Nelson ©1997 and the World Guide to Covered Bridges - 2009 unless otherwise specified.