The Sanborn Bridge was moved in 1960 from where it once crossed the Passumpsic River to Benjamin Sanborn's farm. In his book The Last of the Covered Bridge Builders, Milton S. Graton provides an account of the bridge moving process. (Graton, M. (1978) The Last of the Covered Bridge Builders. Plymouth, New Hampshire: Clifford-Nicol, Inc.)
This bridge is the last of the many Paddleford truss bridges that once crossed the stretch of river between Lyndon and St. Johnsbury. The others were destroyed by the 1927 flood.
In 2013 the bridge was in danger of collapsing into the Passumpsic River due to serious damage to the upstream upper and lower chords and an abutment. Funds for the stabilization of the bridge were obtained and that work has been completed. Since the bridge is privately owned, no government funding is available for restoration. The bridge waits in its stabilized condition until money can be raised for the restoration work.
Our thanks to the Town of Lyndon and the Village of Lyndonville for allowing the posting of the Vermont Covered Bridge Society Welcome patch. For more information about the Lyndon area visit their website at www.lyndonvt.org.
|Location:||Intersection of Routes 5 and 114 - Privately owned|
|Crossing:||West Branch of the Passumpsic River|
|Date:||1867(?) / 1873(?)|
|Truss Length:||118 feet|
|National Register of Historical Places Listing Date:||June 20, 1974|
Credits: All pictures, information and descriptions are taken from Spanning Time Vermont's Covered Bridges by Joseph C. Nelson ©1997 and the World Guide to Covered Bridges - 2009 unless otherwise specified.