Brattleboro, VT, March 7, 2007 - The Creamery Bridge, WGN 45-13-01, is reopened temporarily until the prevailing weather moderates allowing completion of the project.
The bridge will be closed again later this spring for about three weeks to finish the work, which includes painting.
The new laminated floor is without the familiar longitudinal oak running planks but features new 8" x 8" bumper timbers to guide vehicles away from the bridge trusses. The Renaud Brothers, Inc. are the contractors.
The 84-foot Creamery Bridge was built in 1879 by A.W. Wright using the Town Truss to cross the Whetstone Brook, replacing an earlier bridge lost to high water. It is one of the few covered bridges in Vermont to sport a slate roof, which was added in 1917, along with a pedestrian walkway. The bridge is named for the Brattleboro Creamery which stood nearby.
The Creamery Bridge serves Guilford Street and the popular Living Memorial Park off Vermont Route 9.
[Thanks to Tom Walczak for alerting us to this event - Ed.]