ESOPUS, NY, November 12, 2008 - The 138-foot, single-span structure crosses the Wallkill River. It was built in 1844 and is the second-oldest covered bridge in New York State.
Named for French Huguenot immigrant James Perrine, who owned a tavern near the bridge site, it served to connect the towns of Esopus and Rosendale. Constructed by Benjamin Wood at a cost of $2,200, the bridge features a Burr Arch Truss design, a combination of two large hemlock arches and multiple king posts. It is the last remaining Burr Arch Truss bridge in the state. Perrine's Bridge was closed to vehicles in 1933, declared a New York State Historic Site in 1966 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
For the story, go to: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20081112/NEWS01/811120319/1006/news01.
[Condensed from a Poughkeepsie Journal article - Ed.]