Jackson County, OR, September 11, 2012 - The McKee Covered Bridge, closed to pedestrians last fall because of safety concerns, will be preserved, through a $491,048 grant from a Federal Grant and a pledged matching grant by the McKee Bridge Historical Society.
The federal grant is among 22 nationwide announced by the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Historic Covered Bridge Preservation Program. The program provides about $8 million a year in grants to repair or rehabilitate covered bridges around the country.
The 112-foot McKee Bridge was built in 1917 to cross the Applegate River using a Howe Truss.
For the story and photo, go to: http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120828/NEWS/208280307.
[Our thanks to Tom Keating for sharing this story - Ed.]