According to the Covered Spans of Yesteryear website, the Green River Covered Bridge was built to replace an earlier bridge that was lost in the 1869 flood. Adjacent to the bridge is the historic Green River Timber Crib Dam. The dam was built in the early 1800's and pre-dates the bridge by almost 60 years. Both the dam and the bridge are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2014 the bridge underwent repairs to the wing walls and abutments. During this work further issues were discovered. It was decided at that time to address these issues at a later date.
The Structural problems discovered during wing wall repairs in 2014 were repaired by Wright Construction Company in the summer of 2016. The repairs included straightening the structure, a new floor deck, replacement of some floor beams, replacement of one piece of lower chord, two sister lattice installations and some other minor structural repairs. Also, a new standing seam roof was installed to replace the existing asphalt shingle roof.
Our thanks to the Town of Guilford for allowing the posting of the Vermont Covered Bridge Society Welcome patch. For more information about the Guilford area visit their website at www.guilfordvt.com.
|Location:||Jacksonville Stage Road|
|Truss Type:||Town lattice|
|Truss Length:||104 feet|
|National Register of Historical Places Listing Date:||August 28, 1973|
|Renovation Contractor:||Wright Construction Company Mt. Holly, Vermont|
Credits: All pictures, information and descriptions are taken from Spanning Time Vermont's Covered Bridges by Joseph C. Nelson ©1997 and the World Guide to Covered Bridges - 2009 unless otherwise specified.