East Hampton, CT, December 28, 2009 - Sometime in January, the old Comstock bridge will be dismantled and rehabilitated in a neighboring parking lot.
The work will cost a little over $1 million and is to be completed in June 2011. Putnam-based Barr Inc., was awarded the contract.
Eighty percent of the project will be paid for with federal money from the National Historic Covered Bridge Fund, with the state providing 20 percent.
The 94-foot bridge was built in 1873 to cross the Salmon River in one span using the Howe truss. It was bypassed in 1934 by a concrete bridge and ultimately served only pedestrian traffic.
[Our thanks to Tom Keating for forwarding this story - Ed.]