The Gifford Bridge is constructed with a multiple-kingpost, half-height truss, indicating that it, like the nearby Johnson Bridge, was originally an open span. The roadway had been reinforced with steel beams tie-bolted below the deck. According to the Covered Spans of Yesteryear website, this work was done around 1955.
In 2001 the bridge underwent repairs to the bracing and tie-beams. Externally the bridge now had a new roof and siding.
Further rehabilitation was done on the bridge in 2011. The website Bridgehunter.com reports that the steel reinforcing was removed and replaced with glue laminated wooden beams. John Weaver reported in the Spring 2009 edition of the Bridger newsletter that his recommendation for the bridge was to use "glulam" to provide "a co-functioning structural beam load carrying system for a covered bridge superstructure".
|Crossing:||Second Branch of the White River|
|Truss Type:||Multiple kingpost half-height|
|Truss Length:||54 feet|
|Other Names:||C.K. Smith / Lower|
|National Register of Historical Places Listing Date:||July 30, 1974|
Credits: All pictures, information and descriptions are taken from Spanning Time Vermont's Covered Bridges by Joseph C. Nelson ©1997 and the World Guide to Covered Bridges - 2009 unless otherwise specified.