Woodstock's Middle Bridge is the first public covered bridge built by the State of Vermont since 1889. Builder Milton Graton constructed his masterpiece near the crossing, then had it pulled across the river by Ben and Jo, a team of oxen, in July 1969.
The Covered Spans of Yesteryear website mentions that "It replaced an 1877 iron bridge that was condemned in 1966. The bridge was partially burned on May 11, 1974. Restoration was completed in 1976".
Students of covered bridge history will appreciate the forty pages written by covered bridge builder Milton S. Graton in his book The Last of the Covered Bridge Builders. Mr. Graton takes the reader through the process of building the Middle or Union Street Bridge. (Graton, M. (1978) The Last of the Covered Bridge Builders. Plymouth, New Hampshire: Clifford-Nicol, Inc.)
Our thanks to the Town of Woodstock for allowing the posting of the Vermont Covered Bridge Society Welcome patch. For more information about the Woodstock area visit their website at https://townofwoodstock.org/.
|Truss Type:||Town lattice|
|Truss Length:||136 feet|
|Other Names:||Union Street|
Credits: All pictures, information and descriptions are taken from Spanning Time Vermont's Covered Bridges by Joseph C. Nelson ©1997 and the World Guide to Covered Bridges - 2009 unless otherwise specified.