The original bridge was built before 1869. Over the years the bridge has required much reconstruction. After much deliberation state bridge inspectors determined that the Williamsville Covered Bridge should no longer be asked to support emergency vehicles.
Replacement options had been discussed for many years. The choices were between a modern concrete and steel span, or to rebuild the ancient bridge again. The town accepted the state's proposal to replace it with a replica capable of carrying modern traffic.
Construction of the new bridge began in late November 2009 by Alpine Construction of Schuylerville, New York. The old bridge was taken down in July 2010, and the new bridge placed over the river on August 2, 2010.
The replacement project has been well documented. Follow this link Williamsville Bridge - November 15, 2009 for coverage that includes an article by UVM professor Robert McCullough, Historic Bridge Committee minutes, and pictorials documenting the full project.
Our thanks to the Town of Newfane for allowing the posting of the Vermont Covered Bridge Society Welcome patch. For more information about the Newfane area visit their website at http://newfanevt.com.
|Rebuilding Contractor:||Alpine Construction Schuylerville, New York|
|Truss Type:||Town lattice|
|Truss Length:||118 feet|
Credits: All pictures, information and descriptions are taken from Spanning Time Vermont's Covered Bridges by Joseph C. Nelson ©1997 and the World Guide to Covered Bridges - 2009 unless otherwise specified.